Our Philosophy

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hunting For the Big Antenna



Wow, if my world isn't moving these days.

Maybe it's the never-ending rain, keeping me in the books, keeping me in my head.  Or maybe it's the fact that I haven't been distracted by the "connectivity" of the modern world as much lately.  Apparently it's been two weeks since I even checked my email.  (Sorry, Josh.)

Recently I decided it was time to be a hard-core student once again, so I hung up a couple of distracting habits and decided to learn more about indigenous plant medicine.  The book I turned to had been on the shelf of Mrs. Small Batch Garden for four years since I bought it for her as a birthday present when we were still in Washington.  The title had always been a bit off-putting to my rational Western brain (though intriguing enough to buy obviously!), but, after hearing a few people I really trust and respect speaking highly of the author, I finally decided to dive into Stephen Harrod Buhner's Sacred Plant Medicine

The first chapter blew my mind. 

Like every other intellectual rationalist in the industrial world I had always considered indigenous myth and tradition to be quaint, superstitious, and generally useless to serious and sober people.  I don't think that anymore, although, even in my unusually receptive state, it took some time for me to really wrap my head around the information gathering process he was explaining. 

Buhner leads the book off by pointing out that certain organs in our bodies generate electromagnetic (EM) fields, and that these fields can be detected by sensitive instruments out to about 12 feet away but are strongest within 12-18 inches of the body generating it.  Ever had anyone get inside your "personal space bubble" that wasn't welcome?  Yeah, that's the field I'm talking about.  But the real revelation in this new knowledge was that the field generated by the heart is actually 5000 times stronger than the one generated by the brain.  5000 times stronger.  In other words, our heart is our big antenna, not our brain.

Ask any Westerner where his consciousness lies and he will point to his head, generally right around the temple.  But ask the same question of a man from any indigenous medicine culture and he will very resolutely put his hand on his heart.  And therein lies the mountain of difference between the two.

Because really, even from a rational perspective, what is it that we use to communicate with one another, to exchange information?  One range of electromagnetic wavelengths or another, in fact.  Radio waves, microwaves, ultraviolet, visible light, and so on.  And apparently we've been selling ourselves awfully short in the quest for rationality!  No wonder Mother Theresa quietly commented, when receiving her Nobel Peace Prize, that "it is not we who are poor, but you."  Never mind using only 10% of your brain; how impoverished are the people who only utilize 1/5000th of their faculty to communicate with the world around them?  No wonder we feel so alone.

Could ignorance of that magnitude keep us from any real understanding of the other living organisms that share this planet with us?  I can't imagine it not doing so.  To only command 1/5000th of your capacity to do something is like not having any capacity at all.  I think this may be an area where "born agains" have some advantage over atheistic rationalists: they've likely acquired an ability to communicate, to send and receive information, with at least some of their heart capacity and not just the brain field.  Strong heart-felt emotions seem to be much more normal for believers than they are for scientific rationalists, and a major reason for breakdowns in communication between the two worldviews.  But don't misunderstand me.  I'm not lending any particular credence to their specific doctrines, merely suggesting an explanation for the powerful feelings that are apparently invoked by their "salvation" experience.

So why God?  Why salvation and eternal life when similar experiences lead indigenous people to such different places?  Buhner suggests that this might be due to the fact that we respond to our brushes with the "sacred" (or what my Irish ancestors called the world "beyond the veil") by fitting the experience into the narratives we know best.  For folks weaned on the Bible this is how they explain these experiences and the radically re-energized direction in which their lives head as a result.  You can't deny the deep fervor of a young pastor in the pulpit no matter what your beliefs.

Indigenous people have these same experiences with the world beyond the veil all the time.  Matter of fact a large portion of their day-to-day activity focuses on having them.  And the report from all these unconnected people scattered across the planet comes back surprisingly similar.  For example, indigenous people everywhere believe that non-human life forms have voices of their own, and that we can learn to communicate directly with them if we spend enough time learning their ways.  In every medicine culture that has access to cedar trees the cedar is considered to be not only an agent of benevolent plant medicine, but also a protector of people from evil forces.

My Western understanding (all 1/5000th of it) immediately jumped to "well, cedar is a very common thing to use to protect our possessions from pest damage, things like old special quilts in cedar chests protected from hungry moth larvae, so of course it makes sense that their brains would project this sort of supernatural power upon it."  My wife was quick to point out that, if she wasn't mistaken, their brains weren't even involved.  Wrapping my rationalist head around this sort of knowledge is always going to be tough.  And now I know why.  There isn't much of it to go around.

If you could convince a born-again that he could feel the power of his salvation experience repeatedly through disciplined exploration of his big antenna, the comparatively giant heart field that he's learned to tap into, would there be a single one who wouldn't engage in just such an activity?  I doubt it.  I haven't personally had a "salvation" experience, but in January 2009 I had a brush with that world beyond the veil, and it changed me deeply, and permanently. 

Among other inheritances, the driving forces behind my daily activity moved quickly from the material toward the spiritual aspects of life.  I lost my interest in sports, in drinking and smoking (though I backslid for a while due to a lack of direction), and stopped believing that either Democrats or Republicans had anything meaningful to offer the world.  I went from rational atheistic ecologist to ethical permaculturalist with a deep sense of belonging almost overnight.  My liberal guilt disappeared.  These days I can't get enough of the soil, or the plants, fungi, and other macro- and microorganisms that make it what it is.  I often walk to my various gardens multiple times a day just to spend time with the plants, animals, and mushrooms that live there.  I acquired an unshakable desire to be home and to grow roots where I stood, though I couldn't settle for just anywhere.  Anyone who has followed this blog for any length of time probably knows more of that story than they ever wanted to.

I could suddenly feel and communicate with my surroundings, even if it was only subconsciously.  I, at first instinctively and later consciously, knew that life after industrial abundance would be difficult in a place like Spokane, Washington, due to the length of the cold hard winter and lack of rain in that dry semi-arid steppe.  Not that Spokane doesn't have plenty to offer today!  If you live there enjoy it for me, please.  Mentally I love Spokane, and I found my mate there.  Likewise, I knew that our situation in Macon, Georgia, wasn't a long-term solution.  We didn't have much land, the house was not designed well for life without energy-hogging A/C, and we were the only white folks for half a mile.  There were going to be deep cultural issues to deal with, and potentially a lot of anger erupting as the federal government and its multicultural initiatives disintegrated over the coming decades.  In Tifton, Georgia, where I was born, and where we moved after Macon, we found tons of wonderful family and friend support, but also the opposite problem of Spokane: long, hot, gnat- and fire ant-ridden, sultry summers that are mighty testy without air conditioning.  And something wasn't right about the terrain either.  We were looking for home and we didn't feel it there.

But we're home now.  We settled where we used to vacation, in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains of north Georgia, right along the piedmont/montaine ecotone, where life without modern amenities would be pleasant enough, where apples and blueberries thrive in the schist-derived soils, and where the hills are swarming with some of the greatest plant diversity on Earth, just waiting for the return of humans who are interested in talking with them.

Now that I know where my voice is, I think you can count me in...

________________________________________________________
Photo at top of post courtesy of Amir Peeri.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting concept (fact?), concerning the 5k EM field strength of the heart vs the brain. Upon further contemplation, it really makes a lot of sense to me. Consider that brain EM is mostly a low-level steady state, or "direct current", whereas the heart generates a huge impulsed EM field, or "alternating current." DC dissipates rapidly due to resistance, whereas AC can propagate much further distances without significant decay. Now, all we need to do is *modulate* our brain EM onto the heart EM signal transmissions, and develop receptors!!! (haha - "hive mind", that sounds soo k00ky) I do have to admit, I've had a couple experiences with "the trees" (tm Rush!) where I've recognized their life force at the EM level...

    As to methods of communication, I believe you left out physical/sonic/audio waves. These are significantly different from EM waves, and where we get a lot (most?) of our conversations...

    A friend sent me the following link to his current friend's situation - he appears to be a few years behind you on the learning curve, yet he is managing...

    http://www.theunlost.com/work/finance-to-farming/

    The frontyard garden is doing quite well this year - my only regret is that 3x that growing space is located in the backyard, totally shaded by a 70' sycamore and a few other 25-40' maples (hehe tm Rush! those trees also shade my entire house/roof from 11am-9pm)...

    FWIW, that desert on the eastern side of CA/OR/WA is now the new fracking grounds for aquifer toxification. Check out gasland2 if you haven't - they're exponentially ramping methane outgassing into the *greenhouse atmosphere,* and shipping in the last vestiges of H2O on the surface (bottled in plastic outgassing containers, *OF COURSE*)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating contribution to the post, Ix! I hadn't even considered the AC/DC argument. That's just more fuel for the fire that's burning up the rationalist brain-centered argument in my head right now. This idea is still really tough for me as a Westerner to fully accept, and what you point out about the sonic communications is legitimate and possibly pretty important. But I do believe that if you could overcome that deep-seated bias toward spoken language being the only legitimate form of language, that mountains could be moved in the process. The original horse whisperer, Monty Roberts, says that, except during stallion fights (which are apparently deafening), wild mustangs are almost dead silent in their day-to-day communications. Also, we know that different kinds of intelligence exist, and the fact that our mostly-literate society only values book literacy as legitimate intelligence, don't necessarily make it so...
    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am devastated to hear that they are fracking in eastern Washington. What will it take? Without the dependable Rathdrum Prairie aquifer, they're hosed in that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran into an old friend at the farmers market on Sunday, someone who I know at least used to read this blog, and if that is still the case, perhaps benefitted from this post. Apparently she had just recently had a similar "brush with the sacred" at some permaculture site in Brunswick, GA. Let me be the first to point out that this post is NOT about permaculture - permaculture very adamantly tries to keep its community scientific and rational - but if it was useful to her, it was worth sticking my neck out. Could I sense that? Who knows.

    But I'll try to stay more on topic from now on. There are plenty of blogs out there that deal with these sorts of topics that don't distort a permaculture label. If I decide I want to continue discussing this topic I'll change my subtitle.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I miss something? Before you turn back to rational permaculture topics, are you going to share what the brush with the world beyond the view was?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steve, please see my next post...and thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete